Written by Human Resources on 8th February 2019. Posted in: Current vacancies
The Royal Foundation of St Katharine
The Royal Foundation of St Katharine is a Conference and Retreat centre, based in Limehouse, East London.
Founded by Queen Matilda in 1147 and originally known as St Katharine’s By The Tower, it served as a medieval church, hospital, and liberty housing for the poor. In 1825 the battle to preserve St Katharine’s By the Tower was lost, the land excavated and flooded to form St Katharine’s Docks. The institution survived a move to Regent’s Park, but it was not until after WWII that it finally moved back to its spiritual home in the East End.
Today we run a modern retreat and conference centre and our chapel is the centrepiece of retreat and reflection.
The Foundation has started a new phase in its long history as it renews its commitment to Worship, Hospitality and Service. In October 2015, The Foundation opened St. Katharine’s Precinct, a community project made entirely from shipping containers and yurts which, will be recycled at the end of the project. The project includes new facilities including a Wellbeing Hub, London’s first Yurt Cafe & Reflective Space.
The post holder will be required to work on a shift pattern basis. The vacancy is based on 4 out of 7 days a week (32 hours) with the opportunity for overtime during busy periods.
The Foundation pay staff a minimum of the London Living Wage, which is currently set at £10.20 per hour.
The main responsibilities for the role are:
- Greet and welcome guests upon arrival.
- Check-in guests onto the system, verifying reservation, address, and credit information.
- Accept payment for guests’ accounts both at the time of check in and at checkout.
- Post miscellaneous charges as requested.
- Promptly respond to and resolve guest complaints.
- Take reservations.
- Assist guests with luggage upon their arrival and departure.
- Be knowledgeable and helpful about the local area, the Foundation and hotel services.
- Handle messages, wake-up calls, mail, and faxes properly.
- Increase revenue by offering customers upgraded packages and promoting The Foundation’s amenities and outlets.
- Maintain and run the reception bar and shop effectively in line with the current policy.
- Manage Bookings and communications via travel agents.
- Check-out guests
- Assist with the coordination of Meetings, Special Events in collaboration with relevant departments
- Pay particular attention to the security of the building, including the Precinct site and guests when working alone. Monitor the CCTV system vigilantly, and only leave the reception for a maximum of 15 minutes at a time.
- Carry and make use of the Lone worker device when working alone.
- Carry out laundry responsibilities where required
- Carry out and record ‘means of escape’ fire checks, and record them in the fire log book.
To apply for the role please email your CV and a cover letter, explaining why you are interested in the role, to [email protected]
Please note that we will be interviewing suitable candidates as soon as possible.
Any offer of employment will be made subject to two references and a Basic DBS Disclosure that is considered satisfactory to RFSK.